From Jalandhar to the Black Country this book is a culinary roadmap to the South Asian diaspora in modern Britain.
Sarah Woods has spent her whole life surrounded by a fusion of South Asian and British cooking. Now, she speaks to the many desi communities across the UK to provide a unique culinary roadmap to the diaspora of the Indian subcontinent in Britain today.
Travelling from the Pakistani community of Glasgow to the Nepalese community of Kent and everywhere in between, the book explores how groups from different regions have blended their food and culture to create a cuisine that is distinct, special and diverse.
With Sarah's expert guidance, you will . . .
- cook Gujarati Hasselback Potato Shaak for an alternative take on a side dish
- make a Ugandan Chapatti Rolex for a great way to use leftover curry
- have a go at Sticky and Spicy Mango Chicken Wings, easy to make and finger-licking good
- try Welsh Chilli Rarebit with curry oil and crispy shallots
- dive into Peshawari Bread and Butter Pudding with honeyed figs.
Packed with recipes, stories and authentic voices from each of the communities covered, Sarah Woods, finalist of BBC One's Britain's Best Home Cook and herself a second-generation Punjabi, has brought together this collection of mouth-watering dishes and provided a rare and privileged glimpse into desi kitchens from all over modern Britain.
Author: Sarah Woods.